Worcester College Music Society (WCMS)
Interested in performing or listening to quality music across a variety of genres? Worcester College Music Society is the main hub of musical activities within Worcester college and hosts many events and groups for both performers and keen audiences!
The music society presents a free recital series each term, running on Tuesday evenings from 8:30pm in the Memorial Room, often complimented with wine and nibbles. Recitals range from concerts by the music scholars, solo recitals and recitals accompanied by talks to the termly ‘Jazz and Blues’ night and the larger end-of-term concerts. At the start of every term, Term Cards will be available in the pidge room, and an email will be sent to the mailing list detailing the term’s concert line-up. You can sign up to the WCMS mailing list during the college freshers’ fair or at any point to keep up with the Society’s activities. If you would like to play in any of the Tuesday concerts, please get in touch with the current fixer.
WCMS also includes the college’s non-auditioned ensembles: the Worcester College Orchestra (Worcestra), the Worcester Voices, and The Mallardies (the college jazz orchestra), all of which rehearse weekly. All ensembles feature in the end-of-term concerts, and occasionally in other events such as the annual Worc in the Park.
The WCMS committee are elected at the start of the academic year, with the exception of the post of President, for which hustings take place at the beginning of Hilary. All roles are open to all members of college, to try and run for a position all you need to do is turn up to the hustings! The current members of the committee are:
- President – Hannah Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Secretary – Irene Barriga (email@example.com)
- Worcester College Orchestra Director – Hannah Louise Siddiqui (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Worcester Voices Director – Hannah Roberts – (email@example.com)
- The Mallardies (Jazz Orchestra) Director – Ursula Eastwood (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Fixer and Publicity Officer – Connie Claxon (email@example.com)